Aboriginal Journeys (“the Company”) is committed to providing our customers and users (“you”) with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about you, protecting your personal information is one of our highest priorities.
While we have always respected your privacy and safeguarded your personal information, we have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information as a result of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). PIPA, which came into effect on January 1, 2004, sets out the ground rules for how B.C. businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information.
Company -means “we”,”us”, and “our”.
Customers and Users -means “you”, and “your”.
Service -means “tours”, and “our website(s)”.
Personal Information –means information about an identifiable individual. This information may consist of: name, age, home and/or mailing address, e-mail address, phone number. Personal information does not include contact information (described below), nor non-personal information (described below).
Non-personal Information –means information that cannot be used to personally identify an individual. This information may consist of: anonymous usage data, general demographic information we may collect, referring/exit pages and URLS, platform types, and preferences that are generated based on the data you submit and number of clicks.
Contact information –means information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number. Contact information is not covered by this policy or PIPA.
Privacy Officer –means the individual designated responsibility for ensuring that we comply with this policy and PIPA.
Collecting Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and you voluntarily provide your personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect and use your information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify your identity.
- To complete and administer your reservations and bookings online, over the telephone, via email, and at our place of business.
- To provide you with exceptional and quality customer service.
- To invite you by email to write a customer review after your tour. This review may be published on the our website(s).
- To notify you of special offers and products or services available from us that may be of interest to you in accordance with your marketing preferences.
- To respond to your questions and comments.
- To measure interest in and improve our products, services, and website.
- To customize your experience with us, including customizing the content shown to you on our website.
- To solicit information from you, including through surveys.
- To resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems.
- To prevent potentially prohibited and illegal activities
- Persistent cookies are used to provide a better user experience (remember form fields, etc) and to provide us with more information for marketing efforts (Google & Facebook ads, etc). Persistent cookies will remain on your computer after you close your session and until you delete them, or they expire.
- Session cookies are created temporarily in your browser’s subfolder while you are visiting a website. Session cookies, such as Google Analytics, help us provide you with a better experience by providing us data on how our website it is used. Once you leave the site, the session cookie is deleted.
If you choose to disable cookies, some areas of the Service may not work properly.
Google Analytics is a web analysis service provided by Google. We may use Google Analytics to collect user information, which allows us to better know our audience characteristics and behaviours, measure cross-device and cross-platform use, conduct data analysis and testing, and manage our data effectively. Information on how Google collects, processes and uses data is located at: https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites
We will obtain your consent to collect, use, or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
Consent can be provided orally, in writing, or electronically, or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting, using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and you voluntarily provide personal information for that purpose.
Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to complete a tour booking), you can withhold or withdraw your consent for us to use your personal information in certain ways. Your decision to withhold or withdraw your consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist you in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is clearly in your interest and consent cannot be obtained in a timely manner;
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens your life, health, or personal security;
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- For the purposes of facilitating the collection or payment of a debt owed to us;
- To protect the us and/or our customers from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law;
- When the collection is required or authorized by law;
- When the use is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or security of an individual.
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
We will only use and disclose your information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To conduct customer surveys or online website performance in order to enhance the provision of our services
- To contact you directly about products and services that may be of interest to you
We will not use or disclose client personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
We will not sell client lists or personal information to other parties.
Retaining Personal Information
If we use your personal information to make a decision that directly affects you, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that you have a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
Otherwise, we will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or for a necessary legal or business purpose.
Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about you or disclosed to another organization.
You may request correction to your personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct your personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year.
Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of your personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
The following security measures will be followed to ensure that your personal information is appropriately protected:
- Password protected and external electronic data storage
- Locked paper filing systems
- Restricted employee access as appropriate to electronic and paper filing systems that contain your personal information
We will use appropriate security measures when destroying your personal information such as shredding paper documents and/or deleting electronically stored information.
We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Providing Clients Access to Personal Information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to limited exceptions, such as:
- Disclosure of your personal information that would reveal personal information about another customer
- Health and safety concerns
A request to access personal information must be made in writing or in-person to our Privacy Officer and must provide indisputable proof of identity to gain access to your personal information.
Upon request, we will also tell you how we use your personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify you in writing or verbally in-person, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to you.
Links To Other Websites
The Privacy Officer
The Privacy Officer is responsible for ensuring our compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act.
You should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding our compliance in writing to the Privacy Officer. If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve the concern, you may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Contact information for our Privacy Officer:
Last Updated: June 16, 2018l